PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dannatt: UK armed forces risk becoming "increasingly irrelevant"
Old 16th May 2009, 21:20
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The general said that only 10% of the MoD's equipment programme between 2003 and 2018 was to be invested in the "land environment"
I am afraid the line above does nobody any favours. The only way I can see the percentage increasing is by reducing the actual amounts being spent in the other areas. However, in my opinion that the current sh1t state of the accounts means that any money saved by deleting or reducing other projects is unlikely to find its way into the "land environment".

MOD is in such a mess financially (not all of its own making) that it cannot possibly hope to balance the books over the next few years without widespread uniformed redundancies and/or the significant reduction of current procurement plans. As for MOD Planning, I honestly don't know if any is being done - just when units think they know what to expect over the next FY, the next PR (a misnomer if ever I heard one) comes round demanding savings that simply can't be made.

This Government is making demands of its Armed Forces that it cannot afford. If it was just this year I might be accused of ranting, but it goes back to before PR08, and I don't expect it to end any time soon.

STH