PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 21:58
Capt Sensible

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frontcheck, I think if you have a look at most contracts it also states that the company has to be reasonable. It would appear that British Midland International were not.
Are you honestly telling me that its acceptable for an airline to impose its own sexual or religiously discriminatory demands, and if the staff don’t agree they are sacked?. Looks like they were being a little naughty telling its staff " Females have have to walk behind the men because that’s what they do in Saudi "....errrr no it not. I believe they also said that to the Tribunal court, and the court believed them. Should make for interest when this gets booted up a court or two as I believe it is.

Explain, what is the difference with BMI telling its women to walk behind the men or BMI saying to their black employees, they have to walk behind the white crew? Don't know about you, I can't see any difference. If you still think its the norm over in Saudi, give the Saudi embassy a call, they will put you straight.

It is not the rules, custom or law of Saudi for a woman to be expected to walk behind the men, or indeed any other “culture”. I susspect it's a BMI culturally illiterate manager making a demand on BMI’s female cabin crew based on their feeble racially stereotypical narrow minded interpretation of perceived Islamic/Saudi rules, laws, customs and culture. I actually think BMI might be in a lot of hotwater over this because from what I have heard this is a long way from being over