PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 18:24
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
tucumseh

That is your opinion - what investigations have taken place in respect of your allegations?

Notwithstanding Chug's answer, which is valid, I'd say no investigation is necessary given the relevant 2 Star, 4 Star and a succession of Mins(AF) have been perfectly happy to place their rulings in writing - which for all practical purposes are statements of MoD policy on Airworthiness as it would be a disciplinary offence to disobey their orders. On each occasion they have launched into print, they have had the precise consequences spelt out to them and given the opportunity to retract. They have not.

It remains a simple fact that the Secretary of State, with whom airworthiness responsibility rests, has issued regulations which his senior staffs have stated can be ignored or treated as optional, in the full knowledge of the risks.

It is therefore up to these parties to reconcile their differences, although it's not entirely sure if successive SoS' actually realise these staffs think the regs are a load of waz. As all this is known to the Review, it can only be hoped their report will be robust enough to spell it out to SoS. We'll see.

However, most of these issues HAVE been investigated independently and are the subject of a series of highly critical reports, e.g from PAC, HCDC, NAO, IA. The last, which got right to the very heart of how one goes about complying with JSP553 Ch.5 (maintaining airworthiness in service) was dismissed by the Chinook 2 Star as "of no concern to MoD(PE)". 19 recommendations, none implemented 13 years later. I can't make that any clearer.

So, I am not alleging anything, merely giving readers the benefit of the MoD's own statements. The moment they retract any one of these, I'll let you know. But please don't hold your breath.

Hope this makes my position clear. I do appreciate some of it may have been hard to believe a few years ago, but a succession of damning BoI reports and Coroners' verdicts, saying PRECISELY the same thing, must surely persuade even the most hardened MoD supporter that something is badly wrong.