PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lagos, Kano, and Abuja ATC
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 16:00
TonyWilliams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point 3:
Assuming an aircraft is on an airway like UR778 to IBA-BDA...
aircraft B following them calls for a higher level - you can give 5 degrees separation until aircraft B crosses the aircrafts level and then request they turn back on course....

Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way... UR778 is 8 nm wide within 51 nm of the navaid, and gets wider past that point. Which side of the airway are the aircraft when you give a heading that you have no method to monitor non-radar?

But based on what you're saying, we just need the radars turned on and some more training....

No, I'm actually saying the opposite. Radar won't cause some miracle of increase ATC performance. I'd actually expect a slow down as they get to speed with radar, and that means all the ATC folks. To give you an example of what I'm talking about, a typical radar checkout at a US ATC facility takes typically 1 to 4 years, depending on the facility and complexity. And that's with experienced ATC radar instructors. Where are you going to find those in Nigeria?

And what I'm asking about ATC is both - when and where does one meet with them? I'd like to join you when you do...

I'll offer details when I have them.