PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind sillyness
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2009, 13:27
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dar

It is often difficult to work out why someone does something on the spur of the moment?

Maybe he was in a hurry and didnt want long taxi times? Maybe he wanted to challenge his percieved skills ? Who knows but him! it would be interesting to know what ran through his mind? but now he pays for it with more than just his pride.

I can remember landing a Seneca in a 45 kt 90 degree steady crosswind some years ago just before a snow storm put 6 inches of snow on an airfield and closed it down stranding the plane in London.

Get there itis in mine or takeoff itis in his case or maybe just lazyitis.

Having been warned of the hefty crosswind in my case I really had NO intention of landing but touching a wheel and going so maybe a bit of curiousity at what the old girl could handle

The touchdown with literally full rudder surprised me and I decided to complete the landing. The landing wasnt the worst part but holding the wing down once on the tarmac was until the speed bled off.

Ok I now know a Seneca can handle 45 kts at 90 deg very different to the demonstrated component but it could have been a different and damaged aircraft story.

The challenge? maybe a bit of that too. Who knows but him why he took off with 25 kts when he had an into wind option?

Pace