PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 21:03
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pebsham & Camber

My log book shows I flew out of Pebsham on 29th May 2000 having completed a flying display there on Enstrom G-SHRK. A Cessna 172 landed there the same day. We may have been the last ever movements.

I always thought Camber was a seaplane base alongside the sands.

In the mid 1950s, I completed a USA air traffic GCA out of Grove, Oxfordshire in a Canberra B2. Others I still see from the air. About 50 yards of hard runway at Christchurch, the open space and perimeter track of the RLG south of Goodwood. the original Westhampnett? And there's precious left of the long E/W runways at Greenham Common (USAF) or Wisley. (VC10s)

There's the north/south strip on Hayling Island once used by a Cub belonging to Bill Warner. (Warner holiday camps) Spelthorne in Beds, (virtually invisible except by seasonal crop marks) There's another RLG immediately SE of Five Oaks in Sussex which I still use for forced landings and before I go on for too long, Peter Cadbury's east/west and North/South runways near Ascot. Smeatharpe in Devon close to Dunkeswell and the A/D where the Army Beagles (correct name?) used to land about 4 nm SE of Blackbushe. I think the wonderful AVM Don Bennett had something to with it around the early 1970s.

Dennis Kenyon.