PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 14th May 2009, 17:09
E.Z. Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: Statement From Colgan Air Regarding Flight Crew Training

Like all Colgan pilots, Captain Renslow and First Officer Shaw had thorough initial and recurrent training on how to recognize an impending stall situation through the stick shaker and how to recognize the aircraft's response to a possible stall. This training is consistent with programs and training equipment employed at all major air carriers.
RE: Washington Post: Recorder Shows Pilots Discussed Anxiety Over Conditions, Training

"Minutes before crashing, Colgan Air pilots discussed their lack of experience flying planes under icing conditions and expressed anxiety about their training as they looked out of the cockpit windows and saw ice built up on the wings. The revelations came to light today when the National Transportation Safety Board released transcripts of the cockpit voice recorder. The board is holding three days of hearings on the Feb. 12, 2009, crash, which killed all 49 on board and one person on the ground.

First Officer Rebecca Shaw, in conversation with Captain Marvin Renslow, expressed wariness about the possibility of being promoted to captain without proper training.

"I've never seen icing conditions," Shaw tells Renslow. "I've never de-iced. I've never seen any-- I've never experienced any of that. I don't want to have to experience that and make those kinds of call[s.] You know I'd have freaked out. I'd have, like, seen this much ice and thought, 'Oh, my gosh, we're going to crash."

Full story can be found here: washingtonpost.com