PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Canadian Air Force.
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 12:15
YHZChick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SBfour, having been in the CF, obvioulsy you are well aware that the OP may not be trained to fly fixed wing. He has clearly stated that his goal is to join the airlines. He has also stated he is unsure if he would enjoy the CF lifestyle.

The CF cannot, and will not, promise him on enrollment that he'll fly fixed wing. he could easily find himself flying Griffons or Cyclones (the optimist in me shining through).

He needs to research this, decide what his goals are, and then make a decision (like any adult would do when contemplating a major life change).

I think there are few piloting jobs in Canada that are better than flying with the CF. Commercial aviation is a long, tough road (see the Colgan reporting in the MSM--I've never seen the Average joe rally around pilots like they are doing in the comments on various new sites, upset about the hours, the low, low pay, etc etc) and to be honest, i don't know why anyone would choose it given the current state of the industry.

Every CF pilot I know is happy where they are (thoguh there are gripes about equipment of course), even the ones who wanted to fly fixed wing and found themselves in helos.

But the CF should never, ever be viewed simply as a one-way ticket to the airlines. That was my point.