PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Performance Vref Question
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 09:15
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed -
LCY bit me in the arse on Monday morning. The wind was about 020 17G25 onto rwy10. With this wind direction and rwy, the threshold is sheltered from the wind by an office block on the north dock. With 70deg XWC, mechanical turbulence from the city and then loosing 10 kts from the office block at 30 feet, I didn't have enough in the bank and it ended up a little firm. There should be a sock there to remind us that, although you haven't got a HWC and you had better not be too fast at the threshold, don't forget to keep a bit for the office block windshear.

As you mention G-SPOT, if the ATPL GS was filtered and then updated to include more important information, gaps would most certainly be filled. Certainly in the flight planning / performance / pof / to cover the dangers of these conditions - see youtube. I only really learned about mountain wave when I saw it over the Lake District and during the climb as the VS changed. What is wrong with a few slides and a discussion?
The flight planning / perf was definitely shy of line information. Some argue that this is for the line training, but I beg to differ there. Emergency turns for example and as you mention, OEI perf, using the GPWS / Weather radar as reqd (or at least thinking about it) and where to find the radio failure / emerg descents procedure in the Jep. Probably line stuff, but that is what we are training for not to fill out brains with an example of a pax tripping being covered by the Warsaw Convention. And who has the time to learn that as well as the aircraft's systems, limitations, sop's, emergencies, crm, wet drills, FTL's, 1st aid, fire fighting - then off to the sim.
But hey! That is just my opinion.

I hadn't considered less flap for that reason, but makes sence to have less flap. Might be an easier approach too with less flap, giving a smaller crab angle due to the faster approach.