PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - nose- or tail-wheel shimmy
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2009, 03:22
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nose- or tail-wheel shimmy

A search here has revaealed countless threads in which shimmy is mentioned, but apparently none in which this event -and how best to handle it is discussed.

On a recent flight with another pilot, we both experienced shimmy of varying intensities during our (respective) landing rolls. The techniques to deal with it varied too... the other pilots response seemed to be to ignore it, with the panel disappearing in a blur of lateral movement (intensifying the longer it was left unresolved), a rapid tightening of my sphincter as I visualised the stresses being placed on various airframe systems and components and a generally exceptionally uncomfortable ride for all aboard -until I hopped on the brakes myself due the PF's lack of action.

On my landing, similar scenario, vastly lower frequency of vibration. At 1st sign of shimmy, I came full-back on the elevator which (naturally enough) raised the nosewheel off the ground, stopping the shimmy, after which I re-landed the nosewheel with no further problems.

I'm interested in people's opinions of:
  • what causes the shimmy -other than piss-weak shim dampers of course!
  • what methods/techniques do others use in response to shimmy?
  • what method/technique is best?
  • what are the potential downstream issues likely to be faced on an airframe subjected to repeated, unresolved shimmy?