PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trends in ground handling
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2009, 23:28
jerboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And in those days a computer failure up to STD - 7 mins was not expected to result in any departure delay. Data grabbed off the logging printer and a manual loadsheet completed/delivered so that doors closed of -3mins could still be achieved for an on time push.
Hmmm... I call BS 42psi. Computer failure at -7, running the loadsheet out to the a/c and closing doors takes 2 mins (minimum), doors closed at -3. That gives you 2 minutes to complete a manual loadsheet. 7-10 minutes is what a well trained load controller will complete it in nowadays. I'm sure you guys were much better in the good old days but I doubt you were that good. My signature would certainly never go near a load sheet I'd completed that quickly.

But I agree with what you say. Often at my base a single dispatcher (no gate staff) is given a 733 to turn around. Up to 148 pax, 3 or 4 WCHS/C, buggies, preboards etc etc. How the hell am I meant to marshal the pax outside, tear boarding cards, enter boarding numbers, complete loadsheet/paperwork, liaise with check in/loading/ops/airport info and keep the crew happy. All whilst your next flight is on the final approach.

Certainly where I come from, the dispatcher doesn't just turn up and record the delay reason; without us the turnaround wouldn't happen at all.

Do I see myself as incapable? No. I have all the load control and dispatch training I need (its not difficult, lets not fool ourselves here), and have done the job for long enough. What makes things go tits up is the lack of staff, and this is directly related to the reduction in handling fees being paid to the companies. As soon as industry standard minimum pricing is agreed, things will improve (although price fixing is illegal remember). Until then airlines, especially LCCs, will continue to shaft the people that run their operation on the ground.

oh and add the fact that ACARS has actually killed off any form of understanding between dispatch, ramp and flight deck, and theres another "trend" in handling.
Amen to that. Since BA have phased out the non ACARS 733/5 fleet from LGW, to the ACARS enabled 734/A319, some stations figures have taken a battering!

Similar things occur elsewhere; on check-in for example its nigh on impossible to use your discretion and sneak an extra bag down for a pax, if an extra tag is printed money has to be paid - its no longer about understanding and trust. Its a shame...