PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2009, 13:34
ssflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair :-check-in machines at airports

I copy my recent posting on this subject from TA for your indulgence.

"New check-in machines now installed at Girona airport.
You have to use these machines to check in and print your boarding pass, then go to any Ryanair counter (none are destination specific) to drop off your bags and show passports.
There seems to be 20+ machines and the system does work, however the are no clear signs asking you to use the machines and many passengers were going straight to bag drop and being then sent to the machines and having to then get back in line at the back of the queue.
All new bookings from 19.03.2009 have to use Online Check-In which is available from 15 days up to 4 hours before scheduled departure time but those before 18th March cannot check in on line, unless they have only hand luggage, and therefore have to use the machines such as now installed at Girona.
If used correctly the new system seems to speed up checking in - nothing could have been worse than the old system of 150+ PAX queuing, with the end of the queue out of the entrance doors amongst the guilty smokers outside.
Ryanair are being very strict on luggage weight and even more strict on hand luggage,both on size and weight and you have to put EVERYTHING in your one piece of hand luggage,including magazines,handbag and the food and drink you bought to eat on board.
Although I have not seen hand luggage being weighed air side I think it will be challenged if it will not fit in the "size gauge" and some were stopped at checkin and had to pay to put it through as hold luggage.
There were, as usual, PAX unpacking overweight luggage and redistributing items with some toiletries and suncream going in the litter bins.
Don't people read the rules!"

Incidentally-will these machines become redundant shortly when everyone has to CIOL?