PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The Great Budget Debate.......
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2009, 01:14
smudgiebottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a fairly regular Lib voter, living in the only Lib state in Australia. I'm not worried about a budget deficit, I know that the GFC requires spending, so it was to be expected. Not sure I agree with the size of it or where it is being spent though.

For example, 10% of the population live in Western Australia (a Lib state).
40% of the nations exports come from WA.
Yet the Labor government only allocate 7% of the Budget's 'Building Australia' projects, even after Kev07's personalized pre-election TV ads promised big infrastructure projects to the West, which got him a few marginalized seats at the last election.

I'm thinking that the West has been ripped off and forgotten by a Federal government focussing on the masses in the east and vote-buying with $900 handouts.
With boom mines being shut down and staff made redundant, it would be the perfect time to invest in a massive solar energy plant, or water piping scheme from the north, but no, Kev says "let's build a bunch of highways and railways in the east because the WA Lib state government still can manage a surplus, so let them pay for it as we're don't need their votes again."

I only hope that the state budget can make up the shortfall, but in my view they shouldn't have to.

If only the Daylight Saving referendum this weekend could include a political vote too, I'd be interested on the swing for/against over here.