PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Henshaw Challenge: Success! (Now includes photographs)
Old 12th May 2009, 23:38
Vansman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
Many, many congratulations to my friend Chalkie, who will notice that I tie wrapped your plasma plug leads on at Southend and wrote you a small note on your oil filter!
I am so pleased that this flight has raised so much interest. The record in itself is a complex mix of many parts, comprising, logistics, stop strategy, aircraft performance, human performance, and many others.
If we refer to flight time Alex Henshaw’s time was 30 hours 28 minutes from London to Capetown averaging 209.44 mph or 182.12 ktas. Chalkie beat this (flight time) by 38 minutes taking 29 hours 50 minutes for the leg. Chalkie’s average speed 200.7 mph or 174.5 ktas
On the Capetown to London leg Henshaw took 30 hours 51 minutes flight time averaging 206.4 or 179.47 ktas. Chalkie beat the flight time by 1 hour 18 minutes taking 29 hours and 33 minutes. Chalkies average speed was 201.74 mph or 175 ktas.
The above figures show that the Mew Gull was faster than the Osprey but Henshaw flew approximately 342 miles further on his more Westerly track.
So in essence Chalkie flew a more efficient Great Circle route and he stopped less. Interestingly the Osprey was not as fast as anticipated at around 175 ktas average.
Based on the above London Capetown leg and assuming that Steve’s performance figures are correct, by flying the “Chalkie” route at an average of 170 ktas (slower yes) but stopping less (twice) and assuming 2 hour stops the RV7 should do it in 34 hours and 53 minutes or 30 hours 53 minutes flight time as opposed to 36 hours 16 minutes and 29 hours 50 minutes for Chalkie.
The RV7 G-IIXF is not 15 kts slower than the GP4 based on testing and the above figures.
Notwithstanding all the above, I think Chalkie has done a superb job and I look forward to flight following on the website in October. By my reckoning AH will zoom ahead followed by the GP4 but as the 2 lead aircraft pull up for fuel just keep an eye on the RV7 which with luck and no bureaucrats will slowly but surely edge in front. Arriving in Capetown 1 hour and 23 minutes ahead of Chalkie. Then sleep and repeat Northbound. All will have to run on rails, the weather will have to be fair and a myriad of events will have to take place before success is possible. One thing for sure if the bureaucrats let the British bird fly then it will be a race to watch and with today’s technology we can all do it together on the web.