PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Performance Vref Question
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 18:55
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed no. We appealed this question some time ago on the grounds that there were two possible correct answers. I know that the approach speed is increased in gusty conditions by a margin not unlike that described above. Whilst I haven't flown them myself, my Performance instructor was an FE on BA and Virgin 747 classics and he says that on these aircraft not only was the approach speed changed but also the Vref bug on the ASI was moved to a higher speed in gusty conditions, something kwachon alludes to above. The CAA agreed there were two possible answers depending on type and said they had removed the question. Clearly it has slipped back in, possibly as a result of a new performance 'expert'.

Just to cut the sniping, we would never recommend just learning questions and answers. The sad reality is that, even if you understand the subject, the quality of the JAA questions is so poor that you often get the wrong answer. That's why the question banks are needed. Oh, and Lightning mate, don't bother. This is not a sales pitch.