PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How good would SHAR be as an Afghan mud mover...?
Old 12th May 2009, 18:08
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there's a Gannet Double Mamba at Tangmere, but it may need new prop's as the current ones are about a foot long.

You'll need to remember to unplug it, as it's currently ( pardon the pun ) driven electrically.

As for fitting Blue Vixen onto a Harrier 2+ etc, a creative accountant can make up any figure they feel like, having first judged if their boss is pro or anti the scheme.

As a photographer for BAe when it was still a decent place to be, if photographing equipment my first approach was to ask why the photographs were required, was it to show how good or bad the kit was...

( I also insisted on switches being in realistic settings, to avoid derision ) - it's surprisingly easy to make things look very bad or very good.

I'm damn sure we could have had Harrier 2+ if the will had been there, with or without Blue Vixen; preferably with, but the really important bit was the AMRAAM.

Remember budgets are funny things, when the officers of a Type 42 destroyer left an inexperienced midshipman on watch overnight ( this of course is the story version I heard ) he managed to get broadside on in front of a supertanker in the Straits of Hormuz.

Result, broken detroyer carried into harbour on the bulbous bow of the tanker, otherwise it would have sunk.

It cost more to repair the ship than build a new one, but there was a ready 'repair budget' while a new ship was unthinkable, so she was repaired...The same sort of logic may well have applied to the mid-life update of the Sea Harrier, ( which also kept British jobs and technology ticking along ) compared to buying the then unproved Harrier 2+.

As with the hover trials mentioned next, please PM me if wanting a shot of the proposed FRS2 ( as then ) rather than how it turned out.

As for the Sea Harrier and bring-back, it did suffer in this area if heavily loaded, say with 2 Sea Eagles, but as J.Farley mentioned, taking off with 2 in the first place would have been a panic war move, normally it would have one, and a drop tank the other side.

The Sea Harrier can hover quite happily with such a load, I know as I walked nearly underneath until cowardice set in, and pointed the camera upwards to photograph it...

I'm happy to report a Kingston photographer pushed his luck ( well, they weren't used to live aeroplanes ) and got picked up by the efflux, lifted about 50' then thrown to the ground - he was lucky not to have any broken bones, but I think he got the message.

Having trouble with Photobucket & the other site presently, ( just had my P.C. 'repaired' ) but if anyone's bothered please PM me and I'll e-mail a copy of the hover trials & proposed FRS2 inc. cockpit.