PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's up @ SAA re Cadet Scheme
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2002, 05:49
skyvan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Whitebug,

I am very happy for you, it is always a pleasure to find someone who has the desire to fly, and goes out of their way to make it happen for them.

I meant no disrespect for those people who want to fly, and then go out and do it. However, having met a number of people who had applied to the cadet scheme, the over-riding desire of most of them was "To get a job". I am sure that you will agree that that is not the right attitude for a aspirant pilot. When asked what they would do if they were not accepted into the cadet scheme, very few (well, none that I met) had any intention of finding an alternate way into aviation. Where is that drive that is required for someone to be a pilot?

Purely for info, on a selection about four years ago, one of the candidates (the most promising of the group) pulled out because he was offered a better package by Eskom. His desire to be a pilot was obviously lower than his desire for a management post.

If you wish to email me offlist, I am quite happy to give you the basis for my comment. I wish you well in your career, maybe we will fly together one day.