PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR new security dictat
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 15:26
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fc101
6a) have people stopped flying because of security abuse and nonsense?
Absolutely yes. Long haul it probably doesn't affect, but for short haul / internal flights it can and does tip the balance in favour of other means of transport.
As I read your comment, I am acutally on a train for a journey I could have flown, and almost certainly would have done 3 years ago. Today, the added "security" adds too much time and hassle.

It starts before you even get to the terminal when you find that you can't be dropped off any more (or maybe you have to pay - paying obviously increases security). Then you either have very limited toiletries, or you have to take hold baggage (adding time at both ends) where previously you'd just carry it on. And that's all before we even get to the security queues, the laptops/phones/everything out, shoes off, belts off and other random variants.

All the extra time is also just wasted. This train is still going to take maybe an hour longer for the whole trip, but for most of the journey time I am able to be sat at a table with laptop powered and connected to the net - so the time can be productive (note: can be ). Even with the state of the UK rail system, the train is winning the decision more and more often - and I don't think just for me.

Total "security" hassle on the train remains 10 secs at a ticket barrier - because obviously no one blows up trains....