PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trends in ground handling
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 12:17
42psi

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd suggest tigger has hit the nail on the end there ...

25 mins is achievable ... many years ago I was involved with B732's (that shows how long ago...) that did regular 35 min turnarounds with 120 pax + bags + 1500 Kgs frt/mail off & on.

There is little margin for error or timewasting so you need a capable dispatcher and adequate numbers of groundcrew.

And in those days a computer failure up to STD - 7 mins was not expected to result in any departure delay. Data grabbed off the logging printer and a manual loadsheet completed/delivered so that doors closed of -3mins could still be achieved for an on time push.

That was the world I knew prior to "low cost".

Now ..... all costs are at minimums.

Many (not all) of today's dispatchers (sorry no insult intended but it's what I've seen myself) do not "drive" or "control" the turnaround.
They turn up (it seems) simply to record the delay reason, tear the loadsheet off the printer, walk it to the flight deck and hand it over.

That's driven by the cost control .. someone works out that using poorly trained/motivated staff results in one delay every XXX flights ... that's cost effective so it's done.

With the turnaround prices being paid (plus penalties to recoup some of that) you get only three ramp staff to unload/load and position all the kit.

It's not rocket science ... two sets of steps, enough trailers for the bags, belt loader(s) plus tug/bar and often a GPU 'cos the low costs don't want to use FEP's.

Cover all that lot with three staff and what sort of a work environment and likleyhood to succeed are you creating?

Oh dear .. that did rather turn into a min-rant didn't it .. sorry