PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757 inflight instrument problem
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2009, 08:33
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll let you reithink that one stilton! Groundspeed is utterly irrelevent to the airplane, it only cares about airspeed. Indeed i've seen a cracking airshow trick onc an aircraft with a 20 odd knot stall speed flying 'backwards' in 25 knots of wind!

Anyhoo, completely co-incidentally, I have recently experienced a pitot static blockage in the sim (it can be done in UK sims - this was in a well known sim buidling in gatwick) both ASI's reading normal during the take off roll, and then captains pitot getting blocked during climb out. It was a 'simple' captains pitot blockage in which the press of one button (capts alternate air data ) resolves the problem ,but that wasn't the point. It was extremely disorientating, and removes your trust in many if not all of the instruments! In the end I flew pitch and power to a sensbile level off and then worked the problem, I even talked myself into flying a raw data VOR appraoch as I didn't trust the autopilots, even though they worked perfectly - it is very disorienting.
I suggest that those of you that think this is an Anglophile issue, try a blocked pitot / static in the sim (two fatal 757 accidents have occured for exactly the same reasons).
It is a real issue. The turkish accident was 3 people not paying attention to a perfectly servicable aircraft. Completely different kettle of fish.