PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would "Job share" be a viable option?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 07:29
sweetie76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kelly Hopper

Now what you could consider is those fixed costs being met by the government???

Would be nice and I agree with much of what you say. Then, you've set a precedent for the steel workers/car workers and anybody else who feels he should get government help. I was out of work in the past for a year and sympathize with you.

T'ain't going to happen and we need to accept the world as it is not as we'd like it to be.

I have had arguments with management in the past over new recruits paying for TRs etc. Chief Pilots openly admit it's not their idea but the accountant's. Very difficult to stop the rot. Happens even in the education sector where students are expected to take out loans.

What is encouraging is that groups of pilots have been able to engage with the more enlightened managers and come to some sort of deal which is acceptable to most. In other words, they have dealt with what they are stuck with and not pontificated over how things should be.

As we all know, not all airlines take the kind of long-term view we are suggesting. Like it or not, we are in recession and managers always use this as a way of 'streamlining' their operation. If we're lucky, we can use our collective imagination and persuasion to minimize the damage (50% is only one tool), as we've seen exemplified in different ways in different airlines.

If we're unlucky, we're saddled with people who 'know the cost of everything and the value of nothing', to use a well-worn cliche.