PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is 30 too old?
Thread: Is 30 too old?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 06:15
boardpig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devils advocate!!

I too went through this very conundrum at the age of 35, wondering if my age would work against me. I spoke to many people and collected many differing opinions. The result? Age is no longer a barrier.
If age is your only concern, forget it and start as soon as you can, it's becoming more and more an irrelevant factor as time goes on.
The real question, (at least is was for me) was whether I was willing to put in the time and money, for an industry which I had become very disillusioned with. Having had a differing, but professional career already established, I began to ask the same questions anyone would (or should) ask when looking to change direction. Unfortunately, none of the answers I got from the aviation industry were good enough for me to justify the move.
I don’t think I had come across an industry in which so much responsibility and training is expected but so little respect and financial reward is given. In discussions, I found myself, many times having to convince people that yes FO’s on regionals actually earn 40k/year. Even more is the disbelief that as a left seater you could expect 55K, No-one outside of aviation believes this. I also knew that I would be going back to the days of antiquated terms and conditions, working RDO’s and stressing for a promise of 3% pay rise which of course, my employer is going to do everything he can to avoid giving me.
Don’t get me wrong here and before anyone shoots me down, I love flying, have done since I was very young, have a CPL, done some ATP’s etc but also want to spend time with the family and pay the bills all whilst feeling I have a modicum of respect from my employer. Too much to ask?
Some positions in GA etc are different to this picture, but from what I could see, the industry is very different to what it used to be.
My point is, if you are coming from an already existing professional career (older guys), you may find that you will not be transitioning to a similar environment. Remember, that after 6 months, the romance will wear off and it becomes a job. When this happens you need to ask yourself, are my T’s and C’s enough? The last thing you want is to spend your days as a disgruntled employee and hating a job you tried so long and hard to get and regretting the fact you ever did it.
It should be said, there are also many guys who have been in the industry and, for the reasons mentioned above, walked away from it. Many, happier for doing so.

Last edited by boardpig; 12th May 2009 at 06:19. Reason: Spelling leaves a lot to be desired.