PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS RA on Take Off
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 05:45
Jofm5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks fingureof8 - was pondering whether to delete the thread as being too silly to be answered.

Just for discussion.

1. A Radar Altitude of 1000ft seems sensible to prevent false unwarrented alarms on departure. Thx for info.

2. It makes sense, howeer is TCAS aware of terrain as in is it in anyway linked with the GPWS ? The incident above got me wondering if the two would ever conflict and what would happen?

3. I did not know that - thanks for the info (I can understand it may add to complexity but that raises other questions which I will leave to another time).

It Would be interesting to find out what you would do if you got a TCAS TA at 1000ft - is there any advised evasive manouvre and what info would dictate actions - or is it seat of pants at time ?

Another question I was pondering later on was whether TCAS is capable of identifying a supersonic jet travelling at supersonic speeds. My initial thought would be it would not pick up the transponder of the approaching supersonic in time for it to make any alert to be of use in time to apply collision evasive manouvers - but would be interested to know if my thoughts are along the right lines.

Again apologies for asking so many questions - if you think there is pertinent reading to go research pls feel free to recommend any links/purchases.

Thanks

Jof