PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS RA on Take Off
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 01:17
Jofm5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS RA on Take Off

Sorry SLF here so pls be gentle (Feel free to move threads if you think this is an inappropriate thread - I thought the question a little to serious for jet-blast but not really R/N)

I read about the following incident on Incident: Druk Air A319 at Dhaka on May 7th 2009, TCAS RA on takeoff

A Drukair Royal Bhutan Airlines Airbus A319-100, flight KB-126 from Dhaka (Bangladesh) to Bangkok (Thailand) with 120 passengers, had just taken off Dhaka and was at 2000 feet less than 2 minutes into the flight, when a military supersonic jet approached from behind and overtook the Airbus just above the Airbus causing a traffic and collision avoidance system (TCAS) resolution advisory having the Airbus descend. The Airbus crew descended about 500 feet before TCAS announced "clear of conflict". The airplane reached Bangkok without further incident.
I am not sure if the report is embelished on the proximity of the the military aircraft but it made me wonder a couple of questions about TCAS and reactions to it.

I have some heavy reading coming tomorrow from amazon so if you think it best me to research the first few questions thats fine

At what altitude does TCAS become operational, if not active all the time.

Does TCAS have a minimum altitude for issuing a descend if so does it then issue an advisory of a directional turn if applicable - if not when would a pilot chose to ignore/deviate (I see from earlier threads TCAS/RA SOP is it is to be followed verbatim but in some situations this may not be wise ?

If TCAS does deem it too low to descend - what happens - is it just proximity warning issued and left to the pilots discretion ?

What would be the advised manouvre if any if a TCAS Warning only is issued at low altitude i.e. < 2000 feet ?

If indeed the military aircraft did pass in close proximity above - how serious is the possible wake air turbulence to an A319 size aircraft - I concede type of military aircraft size/profile/propulsion is unknown.

I imagine after this was reported ATC communications between civilian and military will be investigated - if the military aircraft was on approach to an military field adjacent to the civilian is this airspace dealt with by two different authorities or a single handler for all airspace.

Finally - And I will probably be laughed at on this one - would I be correct to say the civilian craft has right of way considering that a supersonic aircraft is typically smaller and more manouverable (agile) than a commercial airliner.

Hope my questions do not sound too silly,

Cheers,

Jof.