PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trends in ground handling
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2009, 00:16
ReadyToGo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if its industry-wide, but last year when I finally decided a career change was needed, UK low-cost carriers were expecting a 25minute turnaround of a 737. Obviously they would schedule for more where they could, but if delays were building up, 25mins was all an agent had to turnaround a flight before the fines and penalties began. Then they began scheduling 25minute turnarounds in summer schedules.

(In fact, I had heard through the grapevine that this was one of the key reasons that Servisair at NCL pulled the plug on the easyjet contract. They simply couldn't provide the men and equipment to ensure a 25minute turnaround on what EZY were prepared to pay, and they weren't prepared to be fined heavily for not meeting the 25min deadline or leaving bags behind)

If what "ex cargo clown" is saying is true, and that you have poor dispatchers, and they are under time constraints of 25minutes, then I hate to say it, but safety will be compromised, and it will be compromised regular.

Poor wages, poor training by handling agents... poor contracts and high expectations by airlines... all adds up to what is wrong in the industry. In many ways I'm happy to be out of it

RTG!