PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How good would SHAR be as an Afghan mud mover...?
Old 11th May 2009, 19:30
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question.
We all seem to realise that the Sea Harrier is out of service, and Yeoman Dai's original question was only theoretical anyway.

So, would a Lancaster (yes we do have one left) be any use in the CAS role. If we fitted some heat suppressors on the exhausts, would it's long loiter and ability to train three separate sets of guns on target be of any use (I say three, as in: nose; ventral and tail, although in mountain territory I suppose the upper could come in handy).
I know this idea has already been thought through (DC3 gunship and AC130), but would it be of use in what we are doing now, and if so are there any suggestions of a suitable aircraft type we could do it with.
Please no suggestions that we buy off the shelf proven gear...we must keep to reality, and remember the politicians we have, who would have to agree to this.

Thinking about this further, a multi gunned UAV could be pretty tasty!
I am thinking more of a converted C119 from desert storage (semi disposable) rather than a Predator.

Last edited by barnstormer1968; 11th May 2009 at 19:37. Reason: Specifying UAV type