PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jordan 1960-70's
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2009, 16:16
ARXW

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds a bit odd to my ears. I never heard of a brit dying in those conflicts not a pilot at least (cept for a couple in the '48 war), but you're talking about the '60's and 70's here.

One thing for sure: the Jordanian AF seemed to easily be the best of the 4 ( or more) Arab AFs which went up against the Israelis - Syrian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Jordanian (even though others nationalities flew against them namely, Soviet, Pakistani, N.Korean?, Libyan and Lebanese etc).

Jordanians: RAF trained. Having said that the Israelis had some crazy tactics and were -it seems- the wildest, most aggressive pilots in the air to the point of being very (by western standards) tactically unsound in that even though they flew loose deuce etc each pilot once engaged would do everything to get the kill even separating from his wingman/leader for miles and miles and braving AAA/SAM to get that kill. In addition an Israeli Mirage pair would often think nothing of engaging 4,6 or 12 Arab aircraft! But I digress!