PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is QR getting rid of the A300-600s?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2009, 15:25
A300Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QR's original A300-600's:

ABN - 3 class (Full colours)
ABO - 3 class (Full colours)
ABP - 3 class (later re-registered as AFA)***

Then came:

ABV - 3 class (Full colours)
ABW - 3 class (Full colours)

Then:

ABX - 2 class (Full colours)
ABY - 2 class (Full colours)

Followed by:

AFA - 2 class (White colours, then full colours)***
AFB - Freighter (Full colours)
AFC - 2 class (Initially white colours, then Full colours)
AFD - 2 class (Initially white colours, then Full colours)

Converted to freighter and retained by QR:

ABX
ABY

*** Interestingly, QR withdrew ABP from service and prepared the aircraft for return to it's next lessor, being CityBird of Belgium, around 1999 or 2000, if I am not mistaken. The aircraft was decommissioned from QR service, went to GAMCO (I think) in AUH for painting into full CityBird green colours and then flew back to Doha for final preparations before being flown to Brussels. However, two days before the scheduled transfer of ABP to CityBird, that carrier collapsed and ABP was left in Doha for a couple of weeks until a decision was made by the leasing company (AWACS, I believe) as to it's fate. In a bizarre twist, QR decided to lease the aircraft back! So, if it went again to Abu Dhabi where it was re-painted back into QR colours (this time, the basic white colours) and returned to Doha for re-entry in QR service, but this time was re-registered as AFA. (So, ABP and AFA were in fact the same aircraft but with different regsns.) It was several months (perhaps a year) before the aircraft was fully painted in the full QR grey colours once again.

Great aircraft...................I flew so many times on the QR001 on A300 aircraft and in fact recall once in 2002 when the regular A330 (ACA, I think) went sick at the last moment and ABO was reinstated for one day as the QR001 aircraft and I was lucky enough to be flying to London that day. (with Rosalina as the CSD...................those were the days!!)