PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2009, 12:22
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this talk of upgraded Vulcans, TSR2 and the like ignores the fact that the "V" Bomber Force was part of a NATO Strategic Force that provided Mutually Assured Destruction as a deterrent against a Soviet first strike nuclear attack. The V Force also served as an independent deterrent against an attack against the UK, regardless of whether the rest of NATO joined in or not.

The fact that I can sit here writing this post suggests that the nuclear deterrent worked perfectly well as it was constructed and without building any fanciful new aircraft. To all those detractors who suggest that the Victors, Vulcans and Valiants never saw active service, or that the Vulcan's first and only operational use was in the Falklands, I say "Nonsense!" The V Force was in permanent full-time active service from the first operational Valiant Squadron until the deployment of Polaris.

Speaking as just one chap who stood on a deserted QRA dispersal reflecting upon the fact that there were no standing orders for what to do next (except perhaps to pray), we did the job we were asked to do - our duty - and like those who went before us and those who came afterwards, we were prepared for the consequences if our efforts failed. I'm eternally grateful, both for myself and for the human race, for the fact that our defensive efforts were successful and it never came to that.