PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Standards
Thread: High Standards
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2009, 08:31
Cave Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Standards

With regards to the general standards of aviation, particularly here in Africa, it seems to me that the standards are no longer as high as they were or as high as other parts of the world. Now this may just be my impression as it is now right in my face here in darkesr Africa and I cannot hide behind a first world operation. It just seems to me that people just do not have the pride in their work that they should. This includes everyone from the engineers on the ground to the Captains of the aircraft and the company managment. My guess is that it starts with the training guys who possibly do not instill good habits and/or do not follow through with enforcing these good habits.

The fact is we in aviation are suppsed to be professionals in our particular field and we should have enough disapline to see that our jobs are done correctly. As a PIC I find myself continually having to baby these so called professionals to get the job done. This slack attitude is already showing it's ugly head. You just need to look at the TAC 737 the other day and then before that the Bae146 at Port Gentil. I will almost guarentee that somewhere along those chains of events that you will find someone, or several people, that were slack. I am not picking on these crashes particularly, they are just recent examples. There just seems to be allot more incidents that could easily have been avoided with just a bit of effort on the part of a few people.

ct