PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ardmore Flying School vs. CTC Wings Hamilton
Old 10th May 2009, 23:15
Cypher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to get into multi engined flying before going into the regionals or other outfits chances are that you will be xposed to conventional twins with steam powered gauges.
That is very true. This isn't just some throwaway point. There are some pretty big implications later on in your career with glass vs steam driven.

Under the NZ CAA Advisory Circular Pt 61 - Instrument Ratings, It states that a instrument renewal done in a "Technically Enhanced Aircraft" is not good for anything else other than a "Technically Enhanced Aircraft" (TEA).

In other words, if you do your renewal (dunno about initial issue) in a glass flight deck aircraft like a DA42, there lies the possibility that you won't be able to fly other aircraft unless they're glass cockpit under IFR rules..

(The CAA in their infinite wisdom have not clearly defined a TEA. Infact the term only appears in a AC and NOT in the rules, so I'm still at a bit of a loss at how this has become a 'law')

Last time I looked, a B1900 D isn't a Technically Enhanced Aircraft... (though some probably think it is... flak jacket ON) neither are most of the light twin fleet at the likes of FlyMySky, Great Barrier Airlines or Sunair.

At GBA you're likely to be contending with a good ole Islander, with a Artificial Horizon that was probably fitted to the Wright Flyer, a simple directional indicator that precesses wildly everytime you move the wings past 5 degrees of bank, a simple VOR indicator that Amelia Earhart probably used, and a ADF indicator that points it's way to the nearest thunderstorm. The only remotely electronic display onboard your aircraft being the cellphone in your pocket..

Tell me how a Garmin 1000 (love them how I do though) is going to prepare you for that.

Yes you could go through and do everything on the Garmin 1000 then try and convert back later on.. but would you rather go steam driven then glass first... rather than glass back to steam driven.

I used to work for CTC. Yes it has all the bells and whistles.. it has some good experience in the instructor ranks as well. Some of the more senior people have been instructors for a long time. (a long time being over 5 years)
They will teach you along the lines of an airline which is great if your a UK cadet with a EasyJet job waiting for you back at home. They're not going to prepare you for your first twin job flying in a piston with steam driven gauges at night alone just below the freezing level. But if the past is anything to go by, they have placed their NZ cadets into Eagle before, direct.
Just go ask a guy called "Bank Angle"...

Ardmore I'm not sure would be any better. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near Ardmore. There are some nice people there... but the w@nkers outweigh the good bstards... IMHO...

I have some other ideas of where to train.. just PM me for ideas...