PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a UAV make us redundant ?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2002, 19:28
Flatus Veteranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, on my PC Board at Ramridge House in '49 I had a hell of a set-to with some Gp Capt who thought that the writing was on the wall for manned aircraft. It got quite heated and I went a litle "OTT". He clearly thought I was a brash young undergrad (which I was) and I thought he was a pompous old technofart (which he probably was not). I was quite glum about my prospects but the Air Commode must have been on my side. "Plus ça change..."

It does strike me some times that you young tearaways are busy pricing yourselves out of the market. The Treasury must be licking their chops at some of the current gizmos.

WHEN the day comes that UAVs take over the main offensive and defensive combat roles, THEN the culture of military aviation will have died and the raison d'être of the RAF with it. Best then to burn the light blue uniforms and hand the "unmanned airfarce" over to the fisheads and grunts - who have been plotting and scheming to kill off the RAF for the last 80 years. We can then shake the graveyards with our mirth at the inevitable "blue-on-browns" and "brown-on-blues".