PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions: Starting a career in a/c maintenance
Old 10th May 2009, 19:33
Woooers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions: Starting a career in a/c maintenance

Hi all, new guy here, with some burning questions... (apologies if this sort of topic is often discussed, I did a search on the forum but didn’t find anything) I am thinking about starting a career in aircraft maintenance. I have a degree in aerospace engineering, which I did at Kingston University, but I feel my heart lies with fixing and maintaining aircraft.

The problem is, as I start researching how I start this career path there are lots of different courses and qualifications on offer, and to the layman it is a little confusing. I want to be sure that I am applying for the right thing and not on track to be wasting time and money... I have a goal in my mind of eventually working on Airbus or Boeing's in the London area.

I went to my local college (Northbrook at Shoreham airport) and discussed the course they run, its titled: “City and Guilds 2661 A Licence” – They told me that after I complete the course I would be able to start applying to relevant companies and get work experience, after two years if I put the effort in I would get my full A Licence. The career path would then progress to a four year course to attain a B (1 or 2) Licence.

The questions I would be really grateful if answered are:
  • Is the C&G 2661 course the right way to enter a/c maintenance, how do employers look upon it? Suggestions of other courses or colleges?
  • How hard is it to get your first placement with zero “real world” experience
  • It is it realistic or farfetched to think in four years time I could be working on an Airbus or Boeing in the London/Southern area?
  • What are the major hurdles on the way?
  • What companies support you through the B licence route?
If you feel inclined to a quick chat over the phone PM your number and convenient times, I would really like to discuss all this with someone who has been through it!

Many thanks for your time, and look forward to the answers and advice (I hope! Haha)