PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be Happier Than Before
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2009, 17:37
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
VH-MLE

Just a quick comment (Well, it was going to be, but I'm kind passionate about this subject.) .........a quick comment on your prescribed medicine. Alepam is a benzodiazepine derivative, and 'coming off' any drug in that group should be done very carefully.

I'm not sure if this 'derivative' would cause the same problems, but my guess is that it would. In every case, the kick-back reaction has a lot to do with the nature of the patient.

While in my 30s, I was prescribed Valium after nothing else worked. I had a sports injury that wound up during the day and became an aching spasm by the evening. When the Valium unlocked it withing 30 minuets, it was like Heaven. I felt rather good while taking them as well, and frankly, it got into a bit of a habit. (I wasn't flying during this period.) I would be the life and soul of parties and at the pub, but my wife saw the different side all too often.

I posted a huge amount about benzodiazepines, mostly about Valium, and it was made a Sticky for a while. I claimed that in some people it was plain by dangerous for them to take it.

In my case my life was also being made a misery by a sense of injustice. Several of life's lessons had poked me in the eye over one short period, and I was very, very angry underneath. The drug would let loose the reaction a day or so, sometimes more, after taking quite small amounts.

Also, I was prescribed Temazipam which blurred the facts, and not knowing the connection, stopped me realizing what was going on for longer.

I was a bigish bloke, and practicing Judo and Karate a minimum of 3 times a week...and God help me, I had one of the biggest holdings of handguns in the UK. However, there seemed to be an underlying side that was not affected. While unleashing this rage, part of my mind was looking round for something cheap to break. This may sound funny, but it's true, and spells out the mulit-faceted way our brains operate; which bits are affected, and also implying that there is some ultimate level that is protected from some of the drugs that can easily pass through normal blood/brain barriers.

One horrible memory I have is of scalding my mouth on a cup of tea. I suppose I could blame the sport as well, because pain has to be turned into aggression if one is to win, but the fact is, that without the drug, I would have just cussed and forgotten about it. After Valium, my reaction was to spin round with the teapot, a vast earthenware thing, and punch it. It exploded into tiny pieces. It was a lot stronger than a man's skull. You'll get my drift.

This is one of the worst memories. My daughter had bought me the teapot for my birthday, and she and my wife and her siblings all sat there...quite silent, witnessing me in 'one of my rages.'

It took a while, but I finally realized what was happening, one of the listed reactions is 'rage', but then, there are always lists of horrible reactions to modern drugs. Who reads those?

I can not stress strongly enough, I simply did not react like that without taking drugs. The loss of control could happen a week after taking 5mg of the stuff.

By chance, I was Skyping a friend yesterday who's wife's life had been runined for 8 hellish years by Valium. Taking them made her feel better, but the drug was the cause. (She couldn't even drive to the next village without overwhelming anxiety.) It took several years to normalize.

A while back I asked for Valium as a diagnostic tool. I suspected some eye muscles were going into spasme following a PVD. It worked like magic. I took minute amounts only twice...the rage was there again. Other motorists, pushy people in ques...just the same, but now I knew what was happening.

Well, this has been about Benzodiazepines, but I feel that any of these type of advanced drugs can affect people in incredibly different ways. They should all be taken only when it's the lesser of two evils, and the long term reaction is taken into that equation.