PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNN Reports FEDEX crash in Tokyo
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2009, 13:21
Goh.Indonesia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Investigation Update

Hallo everyone. This is my first post at PPRuNe.
Before I begin, I like to inform the forum member that English is not my mother tongue, so if there is anything strange about the way I write, my apologies in advance.

I am now in Japan and would like to inform that NHK broadcast has televised a news yesterday(May9,Tokyo) that Japanese investigation authority is tracing the cause of FX80 accident to the faulty design of MD11. Namely, no machanical fuse between main landing gear and spar.

If my memory serves right, I remember reading a post (somewhere) explaining that when MLG of the MD11 recieves inputs beyond certain load, strut of the MLG bottoms and the impact force will directly convey to the spar of the wing and breaks them. Which could lead to rollover/flipover of the fuselage due to loss of LG and wing and immediate fire from a erupture of the fuel tank caused by MLG penetration to the wing structure.

Funny thing is, NHK does not show any news concerning this accident anymore on their website so I cannot provide you the URL ,so I guess I am risking creditablity from the start but I thought it was too important piece of information not to post here.

I was also unable to find any media relaying NHK news (in English) so I should recommend this information is kept as reference and not an official kind.

Thank you for your attention, and Good Day.