PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - should I give up painting?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2002, 13:44
Scud-U-Like

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi STANDTO

I think you only have to compare the Lightning work with the Jag to know where you went wrong with the former.

The Lightning can best be described as 'naive art'. It appears you went awry with the proportions and perspective and things continued downhill from there. The painting lacks colour, detail, depth, contrast and shadow. Was your heart really in this painting? I suspect not. All that said, the reheat effect is very successful and conveys a real sense of heat and power.

The Jag is a different kettle of fish. The colours are bold, without being overpowering. The shadows (eg in the port engine intake) give an illusion of depth and perspective. The detail is there, without being too slavish or fussy. As has already been mentioned, the background puts the subject in its proper context. Altogether, it's a very pleasing result.

I think the lesson is, choose your subject carefully. Whilst a rear view of a lightning on the threshold might make an interesting photograph, I think only a very accomplished artist could do justice to what is a rather bland subject. Stick to the airborne stuff. A/c (particularly Lightnings) invariably look more elegant and interesting where they belong.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Scud-U-Like; 12th May 2002 at 13:54.