PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Henshaw Challenge: Success! (Now includes photographs)
Old 9th May 2009, 10:59
TimJNB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow Chalkie website

Hello all,

By way of an intro, I am the Tim who was referred to in an earlier post in this thread, who is responsible for the live tracking website Track Aircraft.

My wife is one of those nauseatingly brilliant people who does magic with software, especially software related to Internet/Web applications.

Just a week ago we learned of the Henshaw Challenge. We knew nothing of it prior to that.

I heard Chalkie being interviewed on a local radio station in Johannesburg and when he was asked if people could follow his adventure on the Internet he said that while there is a website for the Henshaw-Challenge, there is no tracking facility.

Chalkie explained to the radio presenter that he and his team had tried to find someone who could make it happen but had luck in that department.

I was astonished that this adventure was about to be undertaken in a way that was almost hidden from the world and decided that something had to be done about it.

Having had some experience with tracking systems, and knowing that my wife, Julia, would be able to work her magic on the Internet side of things I twisted her arm and we agreed we'd find Chalkie's contact info and ask him if he'd like us to do it. (Purely for the fun of it, no money involved.)

A couple of hours after his radio interview I was on the phone with Chalkie and he loved the idea.

Over the last week my wife and I have been working flat out to make it all work and we keep tweaking it and adding bits to the website to improve it.

Although it's Chalkie up there in his tiny plane we feel very much a part of the adventure and have had very little sleep this past week.

Chalkie would be overjoyed if there was a welcoming committee for him at Southend.

Please tell him how you came to know about it and that you've been following the live tracking.

Tim