PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you going to Infringe CAS Tomorrow?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2009, 10:55
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you could try telling that to the next 100 747 pilots flying into LHR
Normally they will let their Ops guys sift the information for them and put them in their briefing pack My last few trips up front have all included a Captain's briefing on the NOTAMs for the route, albeit they are those identified to him by his Ops Department.

As the CAA seem keen to prosecute some offending GA pilots for entering CAS (infringing), then maybe we need to let a few unbriefed jet pilots 'infringe' NOTAM'ed restricted or Danger Areas and then ask the CAA to take them to court as an example If only ATC's Duty of Care didn't get in the way before we get to that stage .... damn

It seems to me that we have a large dose of double standards in aviation. The poor little guy is lambasted and punished if they don't read NOTAMs, charts, or publications such as the AIP, and subsequently put themselves where they shouldn't be. The big corporate or airline guy does the same thing and it's seen as acceptable that they don't need to bother with such trivia as NOTAMs, since everyone else will do that for them, won't they ?

Personally, I have a much more sympathetic ear when discussing an infringement with a GA guy who has tried his best but has been caught out by other circumstances such as weather, single pilot high workload ops, etc, compared to an airline or IFR pilot who doesn't seem to give a toss or even know what you are talking about. The latter should have a much higher standard of preparation and airmanship, based on their 'professional' status, level of training, experience, and probable resources. But every case on it's merits.

PS Maybe some of the European airline and GA operators need to move to the US system where a Flight Dispatcher 'nannies' them all the way through the flight regarding routeings, fuel, NOTAMs, etc. Some of the current ones certainly don't seem to have the knowledge to be out on their own without some adult supervision