PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I learned about A320 from that.
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2009, 09:34
Flyman35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I learned about A320 from that.

Yesterday I was on a flight to Europe the duration is 5:30 hours at FL 340 we experienced the following:
1-Pack 2 Regulator Fault.
……Hot Air OFF.

Now even if you put Hot Air On(it will not open) you are no longer able to control FWD and AFT cabin Temperature and all trim valves were completely closed the Temperature on cruise page was as follows 25 18 18 no further ECAM actions and No Further Paper work checklist.No blankets on the aircraft enough for the all passengers and the passengers start to feel cold.
For the next 60 minutes we were actually making a brain storming on how to solve such a problem or what to do, and all of a sudden a pilot who came up with an idea and said: what about closing Pack 2 it may let the computer senses that there is no longer a problem in the regulator and the computer may allow the hot air valve to open again) we discussed the solution and noticed that we are able to operate on one pack at that altitude.ok let’s give it a try ..pack 2 off …pingo Hot Air Valve is a life again , we continue as this for the rest of the flight with some fuel management (X-Feed) and during descent we put pack 2 on again, at destination maintenance were not able to solve the failure and as it is a minor failure and is not a no go item we departed back to other destination with 5 hours flying. when we arrived and start boarding again, now ECAM came up with pack the following:
PACK 1 FAULT …. And the rest of the actions. Now we lost both packs and we can’t depart in such a situation. passengers sent to the gate again and after 1:30 hours of Engineer Trying to fix the problem no progress happened. and all of a sudden we call our chef pilot who suggested a complete disconnection of the power evern the battery and leave the aircraft for 2-3 minutes to make a reset to all systems. again Pingo every thing is back no Faults and the two packs are working normal+HOT AIR valve and every thing.Thanks to Pprune because I’ve seen the reset solution before suggested by one the fellows here.
I learned about Airbus from that:
1-we can always use our minds to think and not to surrender to the computer all the time,remember you are the boss.
2-never be a shy to take advice of people who has little experience,be open minded, do a brain storming, discuss, evaluate and test if within safety limits.
3- A good understanding of the system helps a lot so don’t be boared from keep studying as they say here in my country say: (studying is the soul of science and knowledge).

My friends: please feel free to write any notes or suggestions; we are here to share our experience for the safety of our souls, our passengers and to light up the way for the next generation also.

Last edited by Flyman35; 15th May 2009 at 17:59.