PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "To err is human": differing attitudes to mistakes in EK and Turkish accidents
Old 8th May 2009, 20:34
greywings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the greatest respect .............

With the greatest respect I think we should now be focussing on Implementation rather than Reading Recommendations. It seems fairly obvious that we have had some well-informed opinions expressed here but the challenge is - and has been for all of my aviation career - getting those good ideas implemented.

If management are approached with long-winded academic arguments without a clearly-defined course of action, they will never buy into the proposal. They don't have time. Most of their day is spent putting out fires, and even though many of them may still be current, active pilots, you won't find one sitting at his / her desk with nothing to do but wait for the next good idea to coming breezing through the door. As we all know, if the CEO / Accountable Manager doesn't buy in to the idea, it probably isn't going to happen or, if it does, then there may only be lip service paid to it.

In many ways we are our own worst enemies. Compare the number of instances of pilots taking strike action over safety matters with the ones supporting industrial ones. In my previous airline the best-attended general meetings of the pilots were ones to do with conditions of service. It wasn't worth considering putting technical items on the agenda because no-one would show up. We need to get our own colleagues to buy into these ideas as much as we need management to do so.

This thread has shown that there are some good minds out there with ideas that warrant serious attention. We should maybe,

1. Gather the ideas
2. Collate and edit
3. Circulate for discussion and comment
4. Rewrite as necessary
5. Develop a plan for implementation

There is much, much more, but that could be a start.

GW

Last edited by greywings; 8th May 2009 at 21:05.