PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the best Airline and where is the Best Airport
Old 12th May 2002, 09:13
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

I might agree with the above, from a pilot standpoint, concerning LAX not being the best, but have not been thru there (or the insane CIVET Arrival with multiple runway changes and unbelievable punching on FMC+gear down at 10,000') in over three years. I had the impression, even on limited layovers that people in LA generally hate each other, or maybe just fear another murderous race riot.

On a more pleasant topic, from a passenger standpoint, Amsterdam's Schipol Airport has a really nice staff with good morale, and an excellent mix of shops/restaurants, we went thru about nine times on KLM and its Cityhopper, Eurowings, Austrian etc network. I would be embarassed if passengers and KLM crews here at our only southern hub, were to ask me where I'm based: morale is usually low or non-existent at several businesses. Even many US airliines are unable to quantify morale in their "cost accounting" procedures. And the Dutch often speak much better English than many of the 'staff' here in the US.

Anyway, the folks who designed Schipol (same designers of the superb new terminal at NY's JFK) were intelligent-they built sofas or pairs of chairs where tired people can lie down and rest, not just sit upright in hard plastic buckets. My wife visited the medical facility upstairs:the nurse and doctor were efficient and helpful. In the US, without an emergency, we might have waited an hour for doctor, but we have the AMA.

Hasta la pasta.