PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2009, 11:37
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigNumber -
I'll have a go at answering, although this is based on what I have read and I have no real definitive and scientifically based answer.

I believe the answer is no, there is no guaranteed minimum number of hours. However, the payscale is set such that it is very much in FYR's favour to fly those with less than 500 hours TT over those with more than 500hours.

The current favourite rumour is that this is being leveraged - and once you hit 500 hours, you can expect a big downturn in your flying hours. Meanwhile, more and more are recruited into the hold pool.... all lends credence to your assumption that it's being used as a profit centre.

All of that said, I have to say that I see more crap talked about Ryanair than almost any other subject - and I subscribe to the "backed-up-toilet-information-network" (Butt-in?) So who knows.

Boing 7117 - RE: FlyBE - I'd love to work for them and yes, you may well be right that there is only the bond to consider - but the money there really isn't a very good return on an £50k + initial training investment. That said, still have your arm off for a chance - just trying to point out that it's not that you're earning great money and not paying a TR. It's also very much the exception, not the rule (I believe)

RE: the point on having the employer pay the rating, being a better bet....is it?
That surely depends on your perspective....if you have the cash to pay a rating, then personally I'd rather pay up front and have the extra cash.... Clearly however, if you've exhausted all your captial/credit getting the initial training, then not paying a TR is a massive benefit Taking the BA scheme details I mentioned earlier, I'd far rather pay £20k up front for a rating and be on £48k than have them pay for the rating and be paid £31k a year for any more than one year....but I believe the lower pay rate is maintained until you un-freeze - so realistically at the very least two years...

Last edited by clanger32; 8th May 2009 at 11:52.