PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bush-bird namibia
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2009, 10:29
jetjockeyusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning

Caution is advised when working there. I will explain why, so in case you do want to work there either way, you will be better prepared, since you do fly a lot there to build hours fast.

When going to work there, study carefully what is in the contract because when I signed mine, it had lies on it such as my effective starting date was clearly stated as well as the probationary month periods to be paid full salary, that I was never paid (read more ahead). I decided to quit during the probationary period and was not paid my salary, in fact, Andy wanted to charge me initially for all the scenic flights I participated in as an observer (too bad he listed me as crew and not as passenger which is Illegal since I was not type rated in the C210s yet).

The thing there is simple. Before you start work there, does not matter what Andy says, INSIST that you want the working visa ready upon the first day of training. He will tell you to come with a tourist visa and then he will get you your namibian working visa (which you can easily obtain yourself online), but DO NOT FALL for that mistake like I did. Here is why. Technically speaking, you cannot earn a salary if you are there on a tourist visa. Andy knows that and during the probationary period he will do everything possible for you not to get your working visa which is a 1 week thing to receive. He will have you work under a tourist visa that in case you decide to leave during the probationary period (which is 3 months long), you will earn no salary but worked enough for him. On top of that he will also try and charge you for every single expense of course so at the end you owe him money. To me that is a disgrace and insult and therefore I want to warn as many pilots as possible before joining Bush Bird.

The other thing is that Andy is really a lousy boss. All he really cares for is his money but definitely not for his pilots. He seems to stick his nose into other people's affairs like when I was trying to live in an apartment and leave that studio that was provided by bush bird (for a very high price !!!! Knowing it will be hard to almost impossible for you to be able to rent something furnished on your own which in case you do find, it would cost maybe 80 US$ more a month for living in a mansion compared to a 2 star hotel room which he provides) . He came to me starting a strange conversation basically trying to corner me, but more to the studio later. Andy is the type of person that will have you do most work possible, even from what I heard from other pilots making them fly on their off days, example making them do one quick flight and then still wanting to count it as an off day. Things like that.

Also, before each flight you have to sign a waiver. Maybe that is a Namibian thing in general but I flew internationally and joined as a high houred experienced pilot and nowhere ever did I sign a waiver, especially a waiver where I put my word to fly safely and within Namibian laws, however, Andy teaching pilots to fly 20 ft above the ground over national parks etc where minimum altitude by law is 2500 ft, so in case someone takes a picture of you down there and sends it to DCA or worse, you hit a vuture (plenty of them around) at that level and do a forced landing, you are cooked and he is protected and you lose your license, job and future and he will with no feel of embarrassment on his behalf cowardly tell you in the face "well, nobody told you to fly at 20 ft"

That is the type of boss you will have.

As for the studio. It is small, no curtains, just some weak shaders so expect night time to be as bright as daytime in your room due to the parking lot lights shining in your room. You are on the buttom floor and have to keep the weak shutters closed because everyone will see your room, what you do if you leave it open because all pass by your window. The shower window faces the apartment complex trash deposit so don't even open it to let the hot air out because your place will smell like a trash deposit. On top of that the fridge is so loud and 1 yard next to your bed that you might as well just unplug it like me and previous pilots did that lived in there. On top of that, the price is way too high because for a little bit more money (80 US$ a month most) you could live on an apartment on the beach ! Since it is a small town, it is basically impossible to find a 1-2 bedroom furnished apartment and if you are very lucky to find it which believe me would already be way bigger and nicer than Bush Bird's studio, then for a tiny bit more money you would be improving your quality of life enormously. Andy knows you got no chance and therefore keeps the price way high, speaking of a fair boss. Also, the numbers above that I used to compare his studio to furnished apartments etc are correct because I was for one week trying to find a new place and that is what Andy found out and started to try put me under pressure in staying in his studio, speaking of him putting his nose into other people's affairs which I mentioned above.

I made the experience of Bush Bird being : Dishonest, Fake, Unprofessional, Cowardly and treacherous. In case something negative happens, do not expect them to back you up ! You will be on your own because those are people that point fingers at you right away and happily put all the blame on you to protect themselves and their company, although undergoing several illegal operations in terms of signing a waiver before each flight to do things that they are not allowed to do.

Be careful...