PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A very good military read
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2009, 09:49
GPMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently reading Flying through Midnight by John. T. Halliday.
I am finding this book difficult to read, because after every few pages I keep having to check the front and back cover to see if there is any mention that this is a work of fiction.

But no, it is apparently a first person account of what a young man experienced during his time flying C-123's over Laos at night, acting as an FAC. To say that it is very well written and exciting book is doing it an injustice.
I am amazed that this person survived the war, yet alone retained his sanity to go on and become an airline pilot. It is also very honest, he admits several serious mistakes, criticism from more experienced aircrew, and also the worrying state of where his 'mind was at' as well as the blinding fear that he felt at times.

One of the many escapades involves an edge of your seat, in the nick of time and skin of his teeth landing that all the odds shout that he should not have managed. This book really is a ripping yarn. It makes the film Apocolypse Now seem like a normal documentry.

Even more so after I have done a bit of searching online and it does seem to be a true story.