PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you going to Infringe CAS Tomorrow?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2009, 21:11
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zkdli
As a controller I am getting very worried about this total what do you think of it? Am I just worried over nothing?
It depends a bit on what is being measured. Certainly you would expect infringements to be way up with the introduction of automatic detection and reporting systems, which if memory serves was implemented in early 2008. The stats would seem to correspond with this.

On the other hand serious loss of separation incidents in NATS airspace seem to be down 70% from 2006 to 2008. Due to the highly seasonal nature of infringements, it is difficult to have a view if 2009 is going to be better or worse than 2008.

Without knowing a bit more about the pattern of incidents one can't really comment. A loss of separation could be a WW aircraft 1/4 mile outside the ATZ being 4.75 miles and 3000 feet away from someone on approach (I seem to remember you need to generate a 5 miles or 4000 (or 5000 can't remember) foot separation from an infringer) or there could have been 11 butt clenching moments with two targets merging and mercifully both still flying. Very different implications for risk and level of concern we should have.

Not withstanding the above, clearly there are some significant issues in training, planning and situational awareness that need to be improved for pilots.

On your previous comment re student pilots and 747. The UK is in fact very odd in having absolute control abutting against total lack of control/service. However, most developed countries (including the UK) seem to be able to mix GA and CAT in the same general airspace - so no, I don't think the UK is anyway unusual in the general principle of sharing airspace.