PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Covering up an illness to gain a Class One Medical.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:11
goatface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covering up an illness to gain a Class One Medical.

I have Type Two Diabetes - at the moment it's diet controlled, but invariably - due to my age, in due course I will have to take tablets for the condition and possibly at a later date, inject insulin, although that depends upon advances in medicine etc.

I have frequently posted on the Medical and Health Forum to assist and give informal advice to anyone who suddenly finds themselves in the same situation, it was a tremendous shock to me and I'd like to think that now I have the situation under control, I can help out.

Recently, I've been approached by several different individuals (via PMs) asking if there's any way of covering up the symptoms of diabetes in order to progress from a Class two to a Class one Medical Certificate, so that the person involved can go forward to either be sponsored for, or join an approved course for an ATPL.

The honest answer is yes, if you stick to a healthy diet, keep fit etc, then there's a very good chance that your urine sample will be clear and the problem won't be picked up.
My moral problem is that, although I have come through all the obstacles - which was an extremely stressful time for me - there probably are easy ways of masking the majority of medical problems if you knew the way to do it, the internet being of great assistance.

I am an ATCO, so if suddenly didn't feel well, I know that I would always have back up to take over if required.

As I've pointed out to all the people who've approached me, they could well be in the air when they throw a wobbly and have no one to help out, the fact they could even consider taking such risks is unthinkable but they are out there and, by the lack of responses, they don't seem to care.

I know that such folk are in a very small minority, but it seems that they are all younger pilots who are keen to cover up a known condition in order to progress career wise, whatever the cost - and that is very worrying.