PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relatives claim government failed to protect victims of RAF Hercules crash
Old 7th May 2009, 13:56
calpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Daylight low level SF ops since XV179 was shot down? Almost non-existent. The roots of the routine use of daylight low level ops are to be found in Afghanistan. The one pilot who challenged these tactics, in the early days of the war, was removed from SF shortly afterwards. The person who removed him, hopefully has had time to reflect on the message he was trying to get across. '

Nige

I've tried not to comment on this for a while now, but as you've brought it up......

Steady and the boys knew exactly what they were doing and it was their choice to operate as they did. Just as we were going to do when said 'SF pilot' refused to do that mission in Afghanistan. If you remember our crew were given the option of flying it instead. We knew what the risks were and did we have any sympathy for him for refusing to do it. No, we jumped at the chance of a live drop and took the piss out of him behind his back. The fact the mission was cancelled the next day is irrelevant, we would have happily done it.

I'm sorry Nige. I thought your cause was noble to start with, not any more. You should have stepped back out of this with your head held high when you achieved your initial aims. Speak to the guys at the coal face, they've had enough of all this. As you said the lessons were learnt the hard way and day OLF is no more in these theatres. Enough is enough, please let the boys rest in peace!

Al

Last edited by calpat; 7th May 2009 at 16:27.