PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life without a Union
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2009, 11:11
FOCX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frogman

Disagree about Ansett having too strong a union (pilots). I started out with a big wage comparison, suffice to say I'm earning as much now as I would have if Ansett was still going. The APA wasn't overly strong, even with 80% + pilot coverage, it was the industrial system where a company couldn't ride roughshod over its employees. No management could get away with any of the reinterpretation of your contract as happens here. It didn't allow a clause to treminate with no reason after a D + G found no wrong doing as can happen here.

We also had management that was willing to negotiate with the APA. Why? Doesn't matter if it was the industrial system or not, they did. I think the AOA is doing its best given the circumstances, however we need a system or body that can make decisions without fear of retribution that GC can face if management so choose, but one we can still control. Look at the AFAP, that's what you get when you no longer have any real say.

Ansett sank because of 12 years of ****ty management and indifferent ownership not wanting to inject any capital after all they'd sucked out of it as they now wanted out. Simple as that.

Last edited by FOCX; 7th May 2009 at 12:58.