PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A dream wasted...
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2009, 10:23
lytebyte2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A dream wasted...

I just wanted to see what the military folk on this forum think about my situation.

OK so im 21 in august just about to finish uni. I have an absolute passion for flying. Been through air cadets, done work experience at a local air park and been getting as many flights in aircraft as I can. Ive always been intrested in the RAF from a little boy where my dad took me to airshows etc.

My problem is one like a lot of people have. Eyesight! I am short sighted in each eye by -3.00 Now I know there is no way with that I would get in the RAF as a Pilot. So I thought to myself so what ill go in as a mechanic, still get to work on the aircraft and get passenger rides. But! I will never get that dream I always wanted, being able to fly and fight for my country. Something that I am passionate for and to be honest something I would probably die for. Even if it was in vain.

Surely if someone has a passion like mine, someone who wants to do this job they would take me on? It doesnt have to be fast jet. I dont mind flying a VC10 or a Herc.

Im just saying there are people out there who have perfect eye sight perfect fitness and who would be great for pilots but are mowing lawns for a job. Someone like me who has the passion who wants to do that job but has one slight defect but they will still turn you down.

A dream wasted!

P.S. sorry for the rant.