PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army major held over ‘medal fiddle’
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2009, 08:32
NUFC1892

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of the lamentable giraffe that has become the MBE. With 24 year old females getting MBEs for their achievements in fashion and make-up, one has to question the entire honours and awards system!

A few years back I was proud to recieve the MSM, one of 7 given that year which was about average for the New Years Honours. In 2005 they changed the system and more were given out that year than in the previous 10 years put together...........and that trend has continued. I'm told they have nearly run out of WO's to recieve it so it been awarded futher down the rank structure. I feel the award is so diluted now it has lost it's worth, it certainly has in it's rarity value.
Have to agree with dctyke. I, for some reason best known to others, was awarded the MSM in the year before it became a "gimme". In that year only 5 were awarded and I felt it was something really special, particularly when compared to the 30+ MBEs given out at the same time. Now it seems to have become just another award for longevity.